Re: Copy cntrl and redo logs for standby & reports db

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:02:57 GMT

Hi,

first, I'm not sure that you can use the "standby" server as a "reports" server at the same time, as the "standby" server is not open for use (at least not in 7.3.4), it is in recovery mode instead.

I know that you can use different path names for your online redo logs and your data files by setting the init<sid>.ora parameters of DB_FILE_STANDBY_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_STANDBY_NAME_CONVERT on your standby server.

To create your standby server you have to do more than just copy the redo logs and control files ... the standby must be created from a backup copy of the existing server. Also, you must use the CREATE STANDBY CONTROLFILE on the existing server and use that control file to startup your standby.

If you don't have any docs handy that discuss creating a standby server, I would suggest giving Oracle a call and asking for some white papers. Or, perhaps, somebody else in the group knows of a URL where there are some online.

HTH,
Roy

In article <7kb244$l0g$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Tony Adolph <tony.adolph_at_viaginterkom.de> wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I am proposing to create a hot standby and reports server (in one).
> keep this database synconised with the production box I will copy the
> redo logs and control files and then recover the database. I am
> running Oracle 7.3 on NT4. This server will be used to run the
reports
> and, if disaster strikes, to take over from the production server.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is it valid to have differnet directory structures on the two
> boxes, e.g. can the SYSTEM tablespace datafile live on c:\db\system
on
> the prod box and d:\rep\system on the replication box? And can the
> underlying structure be different, e.g. RAID5 on production and RAID1
> on the standby?
>
> 2) To use the replication method I have said I assume that I the
> standby db cannot be updated because this will change the transaction
> numbers and thus the next recovery would fail, how can I open the
> database read only?
>
> 3) Is this a viable / workable solution to create a standby server
and
> a reports server? If not any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Tony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jun 17 1999 - 12:02:57 CDT