default inital username / password? - Cant resolve sid

From: <cabwebhire_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:37:14 GMT

Hopefully, someone out there can help?

I have a new install of Oracle 8.05 on Windows NT 4.0. I've created multiple databases and can't get access to any of them. It seems as though i am not
useing the correct default (initial?) username and password in the NET8 Easy Config or the sid stuff is messed up.

I'm no expert on oracle (no formal training) but I'm no newbie either. I know how to edit the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files.

I've created the databases with the Database Wizard, and manually via some scripts that we have.

The only db i seem to be able to get into with Net8 Easy Config is the default db 'orcl'. For that specific db, the username of INTERNAL and a password of ORACLE (both in lower case) works fine. I can't tell you how many other db's i've created that i can't get into. I've re-installed 3 times now. I'm lost.

I have tried the following uname and pword combos in upper and lower case;

uname internal
pword oracle

uname system
pword manager

uname sys
pword oracle

uname system
pword (null)

Argghhh! anyone out there with an idea?

The most recent error message i'm getting from the Net8 Easy config when i try to test the connection to my new db is:

ora-12505: TNS:Listener could not resolve sid given in connect descriptor.

I've started the listeners (listener and listener80). I've started the db and its services.

I'll be very greatfull if anyone has any ideas? I'm guessing it something simple that i've forgotten to do?

thanks in advance

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jun 17 1999 - 08:37:14 CDT