Re: [Q] Indicator Variables in Pro*C/C++

From: <jblazquez_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:11:42 GMT

> Why do we have to use _special_ (indicator) variables?
> Is not there any possibility to manage only with host ones?

You must use indicator variables only if query can return null values for a column. With null values in a column the only elegant way to do it  is with the use of indicator variables. You know in C there isn't any null value for datatypes int, char, etc.

If you query non null fields you don't need it. If you query nullable fields you can map nulls to data values with NVL function... but this is not good programming practice.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jun 17 1999 - 03:11:42 CDT