Re: Migrate from PICK database to ORACLE 7.3.4

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:53:40 +0100

I did this once a very long time ago,
(and in another country...)
on a pretty small Pick database.

The method I used was pretty naive,
but I just wrote a (pick-)basic program to read each table/file (whatever Pick calls it) in turn and streamed the data out to flat, comma-delimited, files.

Where fields/columns were allowed to be multi-valued I copied them out to a secondary flat file one value per line, including the key values of the main table with the copy.

The gave me a flat file equivalent of a normalised Pick data set, and I then used SQL*load to load each flat file into a single Oracle table.

Simplistic approach (if it still works), but the BASIC programs were only about 10 to 20 lines each, and it all worked first time.

--

Jonathan Lewis