Re: SQL NET - Listener for two instances??? - listener.ora (0/1)

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 00:15:12 GMT

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:15:19 -0600, Michael Reali <miker_at_newcenturysoftware.com> wrote:

>I have a single Windows NT machine (not NT server) running two
>databases, a production and a development version of the same data. How
>can I set up the listener on the database server to allow the clients to
>logon to either PROD or DEV as they choose.

Find your listener.ora file (try under c:\orant\net8\admin or c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin). Edit that file. Look for the entry titled SID_LIST_LISTENER. Each database instance gets a SID_LIST_LISTENER entry that looks like this:

    (SID_DESC =

      (GLOBAL_DBNAME = jonathan.gennick.com)
      (ORACLE_HOME = d:\oracle\ora81)
      (SID_NAME = JONATHAN)

    )

To add more databases, just duplicate these lines, and edit the dbname and sid. If you look at the attached listener.ora file, you'll see that I have it setup to listen for JONATHAN and DONNA (could be DEV and PROD).

regards,

Jonathan

p.s. You have to stop and restart your listener for any changes like this to take effect.

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Wed Jun 16 1999 - 19:15:12 CDT