From PL/SQL: Get file date and size

From: Finn Ellebaek Nielsen <fen_at_changegroup.dk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:42:30 +0100

How can I get timestamp and size for a given file from PL/SQL? I realize I can use External Procedures with 8.0 + 8.1, Java with 8.1, PLEX with 7.x but I want to be able to do this from standard PL/SQL with 7.3 and onwards. That way I don't have to port an external procedure to a bunch of different platforms.

UTL_FILE only allows you to read/write files, not to get any info on them, which would be nice to have here. It would also be nice to be able to see if a file actually exists without having to try to create one...

Out of curiosity: How is the package body for UTL_FILE actually implemented? Using function pointers to call directly into the kernel or how does it work?

Thanks.

Finn Received on Wed Jun 16 1999 - 05:42:30 CDT