Re: Oracle Parallel Server Option

From: Nathan Phan <nphan_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:16:42 GMT

In article <3766754D.66E549E3_at_us.oracle.com>,   Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
> --------------C24A24207264DA1264C5DE1E
>
> For those interested in this thread, I've taken it offline with
Shirley. Let me
> know if you're interested and we'll bring it back to the newsgroup
again.

Yes Pete, at least I am interested, the discussion just enter into the best part, don't kill me with that. Please bring the discussion on line again. Thanks !

> Pete
>
> Shirley Kwan wrote:
>
> > What is Oracle FailSafe ???
> >
> > For the Oracle OPS, you said that I need to set the tnsnames.ora to
the
> > active node first, then to the standby. Can you please give me an
example on
> > how to configure the tnsnames.ora ?
> >
> > Is it only one virtual host with shared media is visble to all
client
> > machine ???
> >
> > Thanks for your help !!!
> >
> > Shirley..........
> >
> > Pete Sharman wrote in message <375FE049.C9E9B762_at_us.oracle.com>...
> > >Shirley
> > >
> > >If you have two servers A and B, the database is located on shared
disks
> > which
> > >is visible to both A and B when you're using Parallel Server.
Which SID
> > and
> > >host you need to point to is determined by what you're trying to
achieve.
> > Are
> > >you using OPS as a hot standby (i.e. one node active, the other
standby)?
> > If
> > >that's the case, your tnsnames.ora should have a connection string
that
> > points
> > >to the active node first, then to the standby. If you have OPS in
> > >active-active configuration, then point the users to the node they
need to
> > use
> > >to minimize pinging etc.
> > >
> > >I'm not too sure of what you're trying to achieve, but it may be
that
> > Oracle
> > >FailSafe is what you need rather than OPS?
> > >
> > >Pete

Where
> > is
C) ???

Option have

<7jj69e$kts$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> [...]
That is

> > >--
> > >

> > >Regards
> > >
> > >Pete
> > >

> --
>
> Regards
>
> Pete
>
> --------------C24A24207264DA1264C5DE1E
>
> begin:vcard
> n:Sharman;Peter
> tel;fax:+1.650.633.1669
> tel;work:+1.650.607.0109
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> url:http://www.oracle.com
> org:Worldwide Internal Services Education;Oracle Corporation
> adr:;;500 Oracle Parkway M/S OPL-B1024;Redwood
Shores;California;94065;USA
> version:2.1
> email;internet:psharman_at_us.oracle.com
> title:Project Manager
> note;quoted-printable:SQL> select standard_disclaimer,
witty_remark=0D=0A 2 from company_requirements;=0D=0A=0D=0A **** The statements and opinions expressed here are my **** =0D=0A **** own

and do not necessarily represent those of          **** =0D=0A ****
Oracle Corporation.                                             =20
****=0D=0A=0D=0A"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." =0D=0AKevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook =0D=0A=0D=0A"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" =0D=0ABruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA
> x-mozilla-cpt:;29648
> fn:Pete Sharman
> end:vcard
>
> --------------C24A24207264DA1264C5DE1E--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jun 16 1999 - 02:16:42 CDT