Re: rebuild index?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:29:59 +0100

The pct_used is the most useful indicator, although even this can be somewhat misleading if the index is (say) very sparse at one end and very well packed at the other.

The Blk_gets_per_access is not necessarily a good indicator - for a unique index bgpa will be height of index + 1, for a non-unique key bgpa will have an extra factor which relates to number of rows per key value and number of (expected) index entries per index block.

So an index with about 100 entries per key value, but only expected 20 index entries per block (i.e. key size is about 100 bytes) would have a bgpa of around 5 + 3 if the index were very well packed, and 10 + 3 if the index was running at 50% efficiency.

--

Jonathan Lewis

<7k647r$a3d$1_at_mailint03.im.hou.compaq.com>...