Re: reclaiming table size

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:41:23 +0100

Depending on sizes of rows that go in, and the pattern of inserts/updates/deletes, you may find that by setting a suitably high value to PCTUSED (i.e. start re-using the block when the usage drops to this level following deletes or reducing updates)) that the size of the table stabilises at a reasonable level anyway.

If not ..

I assume you have no down time to do some sort of 'copy out and rename' procedure; or possibly Referential Integrity constraints make this difficult.

Is it possible to set up an partitioning method which will allow you to truncate or drop separate partitions ?

If using 8i, how about creating it as an IOT (index organised table) and using the online index rebuild to rebuild it ?

--

Jonathan Lewis