Re: Performance!

From: Ulrik Hoffmann <ulrik_at_hoffmann-kiel.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:06:19 +0100

> select round(sum(value)/1024/1024,3)||' MB' mySGA from v$sga;
> I have 52MB. I think this is better now!
>
> I've noticed performance in updating rows and selecting tables is better.
> The increase is sometyhing about 35% better.

Remember you can go up to 1/3 to 1/2 of the total RAM depending of how much ther server is used. You said you have about 40 Users. Are they concurrent (at the same time) or at different times. If concurrent, than increasing the shared pool once more may speed up. But thats difficult to say, maybe trial and error helps more...

> You were right!!! I've found millions of checkpoint not complete!!!

> select * from v$log;
> GROUP# THREAD# SEQUENCE# BYTES MEMBERS ARC STATUS
> FIRST_CHAN FIRST_TIME
> ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --- ---------------
-
> ---------- --------------------
> 1 1 26481 204800 1 NO INACTIVE
> 3314002 14/06/99
> 2 1 26482 204800 1 NO CURRENT
> 3314198 14/06/99

Ok, the standard installation. You should use the standard installation only to check
if everything is installed.
So we have to check the redo logs. First of all, check the initora.log for any errors.
Just search error. If there are lots, we have a problem. If not, which I think, you can
delete the file, because a 35MB initora ist not handy...the database will write a new
initora after next startup or logswitching (or not completing checkpoints ;-) ).

So what we do now is creating 4 new Redolog-files with each about 4 MB's. You have
2 now with 204k which is only OK to check, that a delete statement works. Maybe
you should buy a book to read what redo-logs do, I'm not a DBA, so my explanation
is just : THEY'RE TOO SMALL.

So, as system type the following:

Wait! You said, you have three disks, and only one used for Oracle. So put the
redo-logs on another disk, maybe on another controller. This will speed up a lot!
So change the pathes above!!!!!!!

SQL> alter database add logfile group 3   2 ('PROD:ORACLE\DATABASE\log3orcl.ora') SIZE 4096K;

do it three times more for group 4,5,6 and change the path each time as well.

Do two times:

SQL>alter system switch logfile;

If you do the select * from v$log;, one of the new groups should have the status CURRENT and the old ones (1 and 2) should have INACTIVE .

So now you can do

SQL> alter database drop logfile group 1; Database altered.

SQL> alter database drop logfile group 2; Database altered.

If the database now writes the 'checkpoint not complete', it should be OK if it
is 1 to 10 times a week. This can happen! If it is more, you should try using
bigger files (not more than 10M) and more groups, but I'm not sure what that will bring. But I think, this will work as I said!

> >> My server has 256MB RAM. Is these sufficient?
> >Depend of how many users.
> Our Network has 50 users, but not all users will access Oracle. I think it
> will be 30 or 40 users. Yes, 40 users is OK!

Seems OK. I really dont't know! First of all check speed now. And I think tuning the SQL-Statements will bring more speed than tuning the hardware...

> >BUT THIS IS ONLY POSSIBLE DURING FULL EXPORT,
> >CREATE A NEW DATABASE AND PERFORM A FULL
> >IMPORT, so first we put this thought away
> Do you think this would increase performance? I should do this, if it's
very
> necessary.

Wait till the next Database Update...I'm not used to Novell-Servers and don't know
if increasing the block_size is necessary.

> Another point: I got a help from another guy and he told me something
about
> 'optimizer_mode' statment in init.ora
> Do I have to use it?

Which database-version do you use?

Bye
Uli Received on Mon Jun 14 1999 - 16:06:19 CDT