Large updates on Oracle 8

From: <rob_bell_at_csi.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:04:56 GMT

Hello,

I am researching the best way to perform large updates on a single table in an Oracle 8 database. I've found some information in the archives of this group, but most of the solutions similar to my situation are quite (relatively) old. I would appreciate anybody's ideas as to the best way to perform the type of update described below. I'm especially interested to see if Oracle 8 has any built-in features to aid this process (new directives, commands, PL/SQL, etc).

Background:

So far, the best idea seems to be a PL/SQL procedure with a cursor that scrolls through the 1.5M rows, commiting after every 1000 (or 10000). At each commit we would need to record the progress in another status table in order to be able to recover if the process got interrupted.

Thanks in advance for any ideas! If you don't mind, please copy any reply posts to 'rbell1_at_netscape.net', although I will check back here regularly.

Rob
rbell1_at_netscape.net

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Jun 14 1999 - 14:04:56 CDT