Re: Replication - how hard is it really? (Updatable snapshots..)

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:49:04 +0100

No relation (as far as I know).

You've highlighted my biggest complaint about Oracle in that one small sentence. There are huge numbers of wonderful features to the product, but very little information about when it is appropriate to use one feature and avoid another.

I have to admit that it would be very difficult to write some sort of manual that gave reasonably thorough guidelines - 8i stretches to about 20,000 pages when it does little more than list the commands and give syntactical examples of use; but it would be nice to have some sort documentation that outlined the realistic limitations of each feature.

(Having said that, I make a living by advising people which are the best features of Oracle to use when turning a real-life problem into a physical model, so I'm really talking myself out of a livelihood here).

--

Jonathan Lewis

Pete Sharman wrote in message <37652ECF.F7A31711_at_us.oracle.com>...

>Kevin and Jonathan make some very good points (are you guys related at
all?).

> The main problem I have seen with it has been
people not