Re: Installing a client only on Linux and Solaris

From: XU <xux_at_informa.bio.caltech.edu>
Date: 14 Jun 1999 18:09:13 GMT

Choose "Install New Product - Do Not Create DB Objects", and go ahead. When prompted to choose products, select those client software you wanted to install, such as "Client sofware 8.0.5.0.0", "SQL * Plus", "Net8..", etc, etc. After that, proceed to install. The server will NOT be installed. Only the selected client software will be installed. This holds true for Linux as well as for Solaris.

Robert Xu
Oracle DBA
Caltech
Pasadena, CA

dmachine_at_my-deja.com wrote:
: Thanks for the reply but when I do a custom install, only these options
: are available to me:

: Install New Product - Create DB Objects x x x
: Install New Product - Do Not Create DB Objects x x x
: Add/Upgrade Software x x x
: Build Oracle8 Staging Area x x x
: Install Documentation Only x x x
: De-Install Software x x x
: Migrate from ORACLE7 to ORACLE8 x x x

: If I continue, it will start installing the server (I think. I never
: proceeded past mountpoint assuming it would install the server after I
: specified mount point).

: In article <3756c99e.11541325_at_news.dot.state.mn.us>,
: john.greco_at_nospam.dot.state.mn.us wrote:
: > When you run orainst from the installation CD for Oracle 8 for Linux,
: > and select a custom installation, you can select which components to
: install,
: > among them the Client Software set....( I imagine it would be similar
: for SunOS
: > )
: >
: > The custom installation means selecting 'install or de-install
: products' option
: > from one of the opening menus...( I don't have my installation CD
: mounted at
: > present, or I could give more detail....
: >
: > Hope it helps,
: >
: > dmachine_at_my-deja.com wrote:
: >
: > >The installation instructions seem rather server installation
: > >oriented. I haven't really found much on client only installation in
: > >the manuals for installing Oracle 7.3 and 8 for Sunos and Oracle 8
: for
: > >Linux. I was hoping someone would be abl to help me with this.
: Thanks
: > >in advance for any help
: >
: >

: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Share what you know. Learn what you don't.