Re: ORA-01031 (grant references)

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:51:42 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Steffen Goeldner <sgoeldner_at_eurodata.de> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:04:16 +0200, you wrote:

>I'm connected as 'system' but have
>insufficient privileges (ORA-01031) to
>
> grant references on <schema>.<table> to public
>
>If I'm connected as <schema>, the statement is processed.
>Is there a way to grant the privilege as administrator?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Steffen

before SYSTEM can grant references on some table it does not own, it needs to have been granted references with the grant option. for example:

SQL> show user
user is "SYSTEM"

SQL> grant references on scott.emp to public; grant references on scott.emp to public

                          *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

SQL> connect scott/tiger
Connected.
SQL> grant references on emp to system with grant option;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> connect system/abc
Connected.
SQL> grant references on scott.emp to public;

Grant succeeded.

Another way that works for a DBA (someone with CREATE ANY PROCEDURE and EXECUTE ANY PROCEDURE) can be found at:

http://www.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=467084148&fmt=text

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'... Mirrored (and more current) at http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/

Current article is "Fine Grained Access Control", added June 8'th

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Jun 14 1999 - 09:51:42 CDT