PLS/SQL: OK to use EXIT in a cursor FOR LOOP ??

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:13:47 +0100

Hello,

I used a cursor FOR LOOP to work my way through some ordered data. I now want to limit the number of rows considered using something like ROWNUM. However, as ROWNUM is considered before ORDER I cannot simply add it to the query.

I *could* create a FOR LOOP with an EXIT clause based on the %ROWCOUNT, but wonder if this is the *correct* way to do this or would it upset the Oracle cursor management?

Any thoughts?

E.G

CURSOR my_csr
IS
SELECT a, b, C
  FROM my_table
 ORDER BY d
;

FOR v_data IN my_cursor LOOP

        EXIT WHEN my_cursor%ROWCOUNT > 5;
        -- do the real work
        --

END LOOP; --
Andy Hardy. PGP key available on request