Re: Oracle8i Server with MSAccess as front end. help!

From: <armaghan_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:10:15 GMT

Check ODBC refresh interval in Tools->Options->Advanced tab in Access.

BTW, If you are trying to use default functionality of MS Access with Oracle Table, it proved diasterous for me when I did the same. All types of unexplainable errors.

The one biggest problem is speed.

I finally ended up with developing speed critical forms in Dev2 and reports using SQL Plus.

I would be thankful to hear any success story using Access as front end for Oracle tables.

Best Regards,
M. Armaghan Saqib (armaghan_at_geocities.com) Oracle Link for MS Excel. A free tool to integrate XL with Oracle. http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/Floor/8484/

In article <3762B41A.7B396448_at_euclidsys.com>,   randy_at_euclidsys.com wrote:
> Brad:
>
> I use Access on Win95 to look at/ update simple table stuff on Oracle
8i on NT.
> no problems.
>
> I think you need to issue a COMMIT statement from your SQL process
before
> the changes will show up in the Access requery.
> (p.s. i assume the oracle table is a linked table). the changes show
up (to
> other users)
> once you do a commit... it doesnt matter how many times you log in as
another
> user,
> or requery as another user (e.g. access session).
>
> good luck
>
> randy
>
> Brad Pybus wrote:
>
> > I am REALLY having much trouble get MSAccess to work with Oracle8i
Server
> > via the Oracle ODBC driver.
> >
> > I would really like to know if there is anybody out there who has
gotten the
> > two to work together properly!?!?!?
> >
> > I have all sorts of wierd problems that I can not figure out.
Especially
> > when trying to edit tables manually with the Access table view
datasheets.
> > This error keeps occuring; sometimes when I try to delete records:
> >
> > "The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you
and
> > another user are attempting to change the same data at the same
time."

> > (I do not have another user editing this data!!!!")
> > --------------------------------------
> > Any subsequent attempts to delete the record result in:
> > "ODBC - failed" followed by:
> > "Function sequence error(#0)"
> >
> > I get similar errors sometimes when trying to edit records.
> >
> > Also, Sometimes the synchronization between Oracle and MSAccess gets
WAY
> > off. For example, I will start getting these wierd delete errors.
So I go
> > into Oracle and delete all the records in the table (and prove it by
doing a
> > select statement which returns 0 rows). I go back to Access and
refresh and
> > all the records are still there! I terminate the ODBC connection
and
> > reconnect the table. All the records are still there! The only
thing that
> > works is to disconnect the ODBC connect and shutdown and restart the
Oracle
> > database; then relink the table. This acts like MSAccess or the
ODBC has
> > some secret cache that it keeps its own internal copy of the table
and
> > refuses to check Oracle to see if it is current!!! What is going
on?!?!?!?

> > Also I had fields that were null in SQL Server and when I imported
the
> > tables over to Oracle, now Access sees those fields as empty instead
of
> > null.
> >
> > Has anybody succeeded in getting MSAccess to work with Oracle8i?
> >
> > --
> > To reply to me, remove the "_nospam" from my address.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Jun 14 1999 - 03:10:15 CDT