Replication - how hard is it really? (Updatable snapshots..)

From: <mdlcpgs_at_alpha.gns.cri.nz.nospam>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 99 14:44:35 +1200

We are comtemplating setting up replication between 2 Oracle Workgroup servers. One is the master, but the other needs updatable copies of some of the tables stored at the master. On any day, both the master and the remote snapshot could be independently updated. We would hope to synchronize with a new snapshot process every night.

While Oracle says that the server supports multiple updatable snapshots, we have been given some warnings by a third party (that might have some axes to grind) that replication is actually fraught with problems and we should avoid at all possible. What are peoples experience of this kind of replication? What can go wrong? Does it need constant maintenence or is it just major pain to set up? Your experiences please!

Thanks, Received on Sun Jun 13 1999 - 21:44:35 CDT