Re: Oracle vs SQL server

From: Klaus Sonnenleiter <klaus_at_m-machine.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 14:52:51 GMT

Just my two cents:

Oracle's main advantages over SQL Server are scalability and maturity. Although I don't keep track of the SQL Server problems as meticulously as Richard does, there are enough of them to suspect that for Microsoft the database server business is a side show that does not get enough attention. The main problem in terms of scalability is that you are locked into NT as your only platform. Although this might not seem like a problem in your current situation, databases are normally planned for the long term. And I'd rather know that I can put in new hardware and a different operating system any time I want to.

As for the example of running a team without a DBA, I don't think that's a good idea no matter with RDBMS you are running on. Yes, SQL Server might be able to hide things from you a little more. But that only means they'll come back to haunt you later. Plus, Oracle's GUI interface has come a long way from the clunky 7.1 days...

As I said, just my 2 cents ;-)

Klaus Sonnenleiter
The Media Machine