Re: SUN E450 vs. Compaq Proliant 3000

From: Jeff Hunter <jeffh_at_btitelecom.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 23:17:33 -0400

The only reason you would want to go with the Compaq vs. the Sun is price. Sun is most definitely MUCH more expensive than Compaq.

However, price/performance is relatively even. Two 400MHz SPARC processors will blow the door off 400 Mhz Pentium processors. The expandability and stability of the E450 give the E450 the nod in my shop. Solaris is one of the most stable platforms around. Unix in general has been around for over 20 years. I have Solaris servers running oracle in my shop that I bring down once a quarter just for warm-fuzzies. NT is great if you can reboot your server every couple of days... Received on Sat Jun 12 1999 - 22:17:33 CDT