Re: Oracle on OS/390, any experience?

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_nomail.us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 02:40:15 GMT

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 16:54:03 GMT, tedchyn_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>TIA, quite a number oracle feature such as mts does not exist on
>os/390. oracle processes is running as a job under os/390 - sort like
>nt. check out the limitations with oracle.

It is true that MTS (a performance option) is not provided on OS/390. The OS/390 version of the product has its own multitasking scheme that outperforms MTS (and predates it by a decade).

Oracle processes do not "run as a job" on OS/390. The Oracle interface on OS/390 uses cross-memory services; the application process (job or otherwise) executes its own database calls via a cross-memory PC instruction. Exceptions to this are Network clients and some types of CICS applications which exploit the aforementioned multitasking.

Bill Manry - IBM Products Division - Oracle Corp. USA These are my opinions, not Oracle's. Received on Sat Jun 12 1999 - 21:40:15 CDT