Re: DB_Links and Global_Name

From: XU <xux_at_informa.bio.caltech.edu>
Date: 12 Jun 1999 14:45:33 GMT

The GLOBAL_NAME view is based on the table sys.props$. You can manually change the value for GLOBAL_DB_NAME of the props$ table. Also check your init.ora file, for the parameter GLOBAL_NAMES. If it's true, you are required to use the GLOBAL_NAME as the database link name in the "create database link ..." statement. Otherwise, you'll get ORA-02085. You can set it to FALSE (the default), but Oracle Corp. recommends to set it TRUE (to enforce a consistent naming convention in distributed databases).

Robert Xu
Oracle DBA
Caltech
Pasadena, CA

Le Beaux (Scott_Boston_at_ensyte.com) wrote:
: : Help!!!

: : I have a DEC Alpha server named Alpha1 with Oracle 7.3.2 installed. I
: : am tring to create a Database link to another oracle database Bell. I
: : am able to tnsping Bell, and sqlplus to bell from the alpha machine.
: : I have the TNSNAMES.ORA file setup correctly. Here is the problem...
: : when I type "create database link bell connect to scott identified by
: : tiger using 'bell'" I get the standard link is created. However when
: : I try and use the link, "Select * from dual_at_Bell" I get the ORA-02085
: : Bell.Alpha1 link to Bell.world. My questions is where is that
: : ".Alpha1" coming from? I unsterstand that the Bell.world is coming
: : from SQLNET.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA. I did change the
: : names.default_domain = world, already. But I am still get Bell.ALPHA1
: : in DBA_DB_LINKS. The only thing that I can see is that when I type
: : 'Select * from GLOBAL_NAME" I get back prod.alpha1 where prod is the
: : SID for this database. I have check TNSNAMES.ORA, SQLNET.ORA and
: : LISTENER.ORA. There is no reference to Alpha1 in any of those.

: : And how do I change the GLOBAL_NAME?

: : Thanks for your help, email is appreciated.

: : Scott Boston
: : Tech. Support Rep.
: : ENSYTE Energy Software Int'l
: : Scott_Boston_at_ensyte.com