Re: Row locking and serializability

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_valinet.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 07:39:05 -0400

This was sloppy phrasing on my part. By "under control of the user" I meant that a user process event, namely the transaction's end, caused the lock's release.

The user's process doesn't control the lock, but the user process can delay the end of the transaction indefinitely.

Not so with page locks. The right to insert a new record into a page is transferred between various processes that are all Rdb, including Rdb processing in the context of the user's process.

These processes can all signal each other, and respond to asynchronous traps, in a way that lets them share the page in a disciplined way, without depending on the completion of a user's code.