DB_Links and Global_Name

From: Le Beaux <Scott_Boston_at_ensyte.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:42:32 GMT

Help!!!

I have a DEC Alpha server named Alpha1 with Oracle 7.3.2 installed. I am tring to create a Database link to another oracle database Bell. I am able to tnsping Bell, and sqlplus to bell from the alpha machine. I have the TNSNAMES.ORA file setup correctly. Here is the problem... when I type "create database link bell connect to scott identified by tiger using 'bell'" I get the standard link is created. However when I try and use the link, "Select * from dual_at_Bell" I get the ORA-02085 Bell.Alpha1 link to Bell.world. My questions is where is that ".Alpha1" coming from? I unsterstand that the Bell.world is coming from SQLNET.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA. I did change the names.default_domain = world, already. But I am still get Bell.ALPHA1 in DBA_DB_LINKS. The only thing that I can see is that when I type 'Select * from GLOBAL_NAME" I get back prod.alpha1 where prod is the SID for this database. I have check TNSNAMES.ORA, SQLNET.ORA and LISTENER.ORA. There is no reference to Alpha1 in any of those.

And how do I change the GLOBAL_NAME?

Thanks for your help, email is appreciated.

Scott Boston
Tech. Support Rep.
ENSYTE Energy Software Int'l
Scott_Boston_at_ensyte.com Received on Fri Jun 11 1999 - 15:42:32 CDT