Oracle8i Server with MSAccess as front end. help!

From: Brad Pybus <brad_pybus_nospam_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:14:20 -0500

I am REALLY having much trouble get MSAccess to work with Oracle8i Server via the Oracle ODBC driver.

I would really like to know if there is anybody out there who has gotten the two to work together properly!?!?!?

I have all sorts of wierd problems that I can not figure out. Especially when trying to edit tables manually with the Access table view datasheets. This error keeps occuring; sometimes when I try to delete records:

"The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and
another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time."

(I do not have another user editing this data!!!!")

Any subsequent attempts to delete the record result in:
"ODBC - failed" followed by:
"Function sequence error(#0)"

I get similar errors sometimes when trying to edit records.

Also, Sometimes the synchronization between Oracle and MSAccess gets WAY off. For example, I will start getting these wierd delete errors. So I go into Oracle and delete all the records in the table (and prove it by doing a select statement which returns 0 rows). I go back to Access and refresh and all the records are still there! I terminate the ODBC connection and reconnect the table. All the records are still there! The only thing that works is to disconnect the ODBC connect and shutdown and restart the Oracle database; then relink the table. This acts like MSAccess or the ODBC has some secret cache that it keeps its own internal copy of the table and refuses to check Oracle to see if it is current!!! What is going on?!?!?!?

Also I had fields that were null in SQL Server and when I imported the tables over to Oracle, now Access sees those fields as empty instead of null.

Has anybody succeeded in getting MSAccess to work with Oracle8i?

--
To reply to me, remove the "_nospam" from my address. Received on Fri Jun 11 1999 - 10:14:20 CDT