Re: cancel based, change based and time based recovery

From: Jeremy Russell <Jeremy.Russell_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 01:16:45 GMT

Brian, the simple answer is that all of these types of incomplete recovery follow the same path:

  1. restore the failed datafiles from a backup.
  2. start the recovery with one of the following:
  3. recover database until cancel;
  4. recover database until change nnnnn;
  5. recover database until time 'yyyy-mm-dd:hh:mm:ss'

These would be used when

  1. you've lost a redo log file somewhere - respond 'CANCEL' when prompted to load the missing log
  2. you know the change number (SCN, I think?) up to where you need to recover or
  3. when someone did something bad at a known time and you're restoring up to just before that time.

HTH JR