Re: Temporary Tables

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 00:59:48 GMT

A copy of this was sent to tedchyn_at_yahoo.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:55:36 GMT, you wrote:

>Thomas,
>1. Can you explain a little more about how temporary table are used in
>an application environment ?

anyway you want to i guess. not sure what you are looking for here.

>2. what kind work actually take place by oracle ?
> (user can only see the data he created and when his session
>terminate the data is gone).

there are 2 types of temporary tables

>3. above what version of oracle this is available ?

Oracle8i release 8.1

>Thanks
>Ted Chyn
>
>Thanks Ted
>In article <3762725a.17936581_at_newshost.us.oracle.com>,
> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com wrote:
>> A copy of this was sent to Norris <johnnie_at_cooper.com.hk>
>> (if that email address didn't require changing)
>> On 6 Jun 1999 03:58:31 GMT, you wrote:
>>
>> >May I know the differences between Oracle8i 8.1.5 Temporary tables
>and
>> >SQLServer's Temporary tables?
>>
>> they are similar to temp tables in those databases the main exception
>being that
>> they are 'statically' defined. You create them once per database,
>not once per
>> stored procedure in the database. They always exist but appear empty
>until you
>> put data in them. They may be SESSION based (data survives a commit
>but not a
>> disconnect/reconnect). They may be TRANSACTION based (data
>disappears after a
>> commit). Here is an example showing the behaviour of both. I used
>the

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'... Mirrored (and more current) at http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/

Current article is "Fine Grained Access Control", added June 8'th

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Jun 10 1999 - 19:59:48 CDT