User of ROWID Datatypes

From: Bill Mann <bill.mann_at_worldtalk.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:39:22 -0700

I wish to create a hierachical relationship between records in a table using the ROWID datatype. I will have fields such as parent_id and child_id that point to the Oracle generate ROWID.

With such as design, am I at risk if the database is restored after a backup. Will ROWID values be re-generated restore time. Will re-generation also occur if I try to restore the database using SQL*LOADER reading from a text dump of the table ?

If I am right, does Oracle have some other mechanism to create a unique record id that can be maintained even after restores etc.

Thanks,
Bill. Received on Thu Jun 10 1999 - 16:39:22 CDT