db_block_checksum and log_block_checksum

From: rbbdsb <rbbdsb_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:52:04 -0400

Hi,
We've been having some data corruption problems and the recommendation is to turn on db_block_checksum and log_block_checksum. If anyone has experience with these parameters, we'd appreciate some insight. 1. It looks like the DBWR is going to be calculating and storing a checksum for every write of a data block with a potential check of the checksum on the reads (last write of the block stored a checksum). We're expecting some increase in CPU utilization to do the checksum manipulation. Anything else (measurably slower writes, etc.)?
2. It looks like checksums are going to be written to the log blocks, as well, by log_block_checksums. Same question. 3. It isn't clear what happens if the checksum doesn't match. We're guessing Oracle abends?

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Roy Received on Thu Jun 10 1999 - 14:52:04 CDT