1 Users for the whole program or not.....Input needed.

From: <tim_mcconechy_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:49:56 GMT

One of my colegues.
Says:

For our application we should have 1 oracle user and let the applications users by handled by the program via a users table. Table for simplicity.
His fear being more support when and if I ever leave the company and that he had have to learn how to creat users,synonyms,grants. He wants the program to handle it all manually. And you don't need a DBA.

I say no way. Let each user be greated manually or by the program and granted seperate roles depending on what they have access to. This way the system can be configured so that 1 user cannot drop all the tables. And so that we can see what each user has done. As far as support there will be some configuration and someone that kows oracle should be nearby at all times.

What are some other arguments for or against me.

Also what other support issues can I expect. Typically the database should run at a client with 5-10 users .. Of course I would go and configure it at the start.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jun 10 1999 - 08:49:56 CDT