Re: process.dat goes larger and larger.

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 21:07:01 +0100

The relevant parameters are the oracle_trace_XXX parameters. I think there is a separate Oracle Trace manual for it that comes with the Oracle Enterprise Manager add-ons, and a 'Trace Manager' GUI.

If you look $ORACLE_HOME/otrace/admin, there is a script called otrcfmtc.sql to create a set of Oracle trace tables, and under $ORACLE_HOME/bin there is a progarm otrcfmt which you use to unpack the cdf file into these tables. There is then a script in $ORACLE_HOME/otrace/admin/samples which creates meaningful synonyms for the tables created by otrcfmt (names like v_199261_f_5_e_8_8_0), and a few simple scripts to report on the tables.

The tables contain correlated sets of information that allow you to do things like:

    see an sql statement
    gets its actual execution plan with row counts per line     see the before and after values for physical and logical reads     see times of execution
    see numbers and sizes of packets of data sent over SQL*Net.

It is rather hard work without the Trace Manager, but in principal it is much more informative that SQL_trace and sqn*net tracing combined at a much lower CPU and I/O cost.

One of these weeks I will get round to writing up my notes and putting them on my web site.
--

Jonathan Lewis