Re: buffer overflow

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 11:56:43 GMT

A copy of this was sent to anthonywmhui_at_hotmail.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 08:06:26 GMT, you wrote:

>I connected from ALPHA UNIX machine to a database in HP UNIX machine
>using SQLNET(or NET8?), compiled a package and try to list out all
>errors using SHOW ERROR command in SQLPLUS. The following error appear.
>
>buffer overflow. Use SET command to reduce ARRAYSIZE or increase
>MAXDATA.
>
>I know what ARRAYSIZE is but I can't what is MAXDATA? Can anyone tell
>me what it is?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Anthony Hui
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

maxdata and arraysize (maxdata is obsoleted in sqlplus 8.0 if you set it to zero) control the buffer sqlplus uses to fetch data into.

maxdata/arraysize = max row width you can fetch.

maxdata/max row-width you want to fetch = max you can set arraysize.

Lets say you have a table with 10 columns and each column is a varchar2(4000). The max row width is 40,000 bytes. Lets say maxdata is set to 50,000 in sqplus. The biggest array size you can have is 1 then.

maxdata is set in sqlplus as follows:

SQL> set maxdata 100000
maxdata option 100000 out of range (500 through 60000)

SQL> set maxdata 50000
SQL> show maxdata
maxdata 50000

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'... Mirrored (and more current) at http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/

Current article is "Fine Grained Access Control", added June 8'th

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Jun 09 1999 - 06:56:43 CDT