Apache, Oracle, Cookies and User Authentication

From: <stephenreynolds_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 05:54:33 GMT

We are building a development web site on an NT machine using Apache, Oracle Reports Server and an Oracle database. When completed, the web site will be moved onto a unix server.

We are using Apache user authentication, using the the same username and passwords as the Oracle database uses. The Oracle username is the mechanism that sets the level of access users have to the database.

We would like to be able to capture the Apache username as a user logs in, and pass that username as a string into the URL that runs a report definition file in the Oracle Reports Server.

I think we should be using cookies and JavaScript but we don't know how to go about it. Does anybody know how we can do this? Alternatives to the cookie/JavaScript option will be gratefully received.

I have included a typical URL below, showing where we need to insert the Apache username:

<a_href="http://SAMIS_1/cgi-bin/r30cgi32.exe? blams_521pUser=OPS$APACHE_USERNAMS_GOES_HERE">Run Report</a>

Regards Steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jun 09 1999 - 00:54:33 CDT