Re: Triggers and External Processes

From: Dante <dnotari_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 13:00:08 GMT

Chris,
 please be aware that Oracle provides a QUEUE mechanism as well  as a JOB processing. With the DBMS_JOB you can put jobs in  a queue (you can specify time, etc) which can execute a .exe.

Regards
Dante

In article <375C7828.2487199_at_addease.com.au>,   david_at_addease.com.au wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Unless you really need the executable to run immediately the database
> is updated, you might consider using a trigger to insert a record
> into a queue table to be processed every x seconds by an Oracle job.
> This way you avoid overhead on each transaction. You could use an
> executable running from another machine to scan the queue table and
> perform tasks if you didn't want to use a job, avioding the
> additional load on the database server. A queue is sometimes a better
> alternative since it also allows for your database transactions to go
> through even if your executable is for some reason unavailable.
>
> HTH, David.
>
> Chris Forlano wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to use a trigger, or a similar mechanism, to spawn
> > an external executable on a database server?
> >
> > For example, say I have an Oracle database running on an
> > NT 4.0 server. When a new row is added to a table, can a
> > .exe file be run with command line arguments indicating the
> > new information added to the database.
> >
> > I realize that this it is not ideal to have any processes other
> > than the database processes running on the server, but, I'd
> > like to see what kinds of options we have.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Chris

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jun 08 1999 - 08:00:08 CDT