Re: Triggers and External Processes

From: Finn Ellebaek Nielsen <fen_at_changegroup.dk>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 16:50:19 +0100

Chris Forlano <cforlano_at_nortelnetworks.com> wrote in message news:375B9AEA.AEAEDB5F_at_nortelnetworks.com...
> Is it possible to use a trigger, or a similar mechanism, to spawn
> an external executable on a database server?
>
> For example, say I have an Oracle database running on an
> NT 4.0 server. When a new row is added to a table, can a
> .exe file be run with command line arguments indicating the
> new information added to the database.
>
> I realize that this it is not ideal to have any processes other
> than the database processes running on the server, but, I'd
> like to see what kinds of options we have.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

That's possible from stored procedures, take a look at the "External Procedures" feature, available with 8.0 and newer. For Oracle7 use PLEX, see http://www.oracle.com/database/features/plsql/plexdoc_toc.html.

I'm not sure if there's anything in these architectures that will prevent it from working from a trigger, but I don't think so.

HTH. Finn Received on Mon Jun 07 1999 - 10:50:19 CDT