oracle8 OCI

From: <ga_at_alerts.co.il>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 20:06:09 +0300

I have a multi-threaded appl that runs OCI 7.3 and does great. The appl is built for hi speed reads. At startup, each thread creates a static cursor for the read. For example, select field1, field2 where id=:1

I bind and define my vars at startup and do an oparse.

When a request comes in, i just copy the input id to the bind varaiable and do an oexfet. 1 round trip to oracle to get the data each time (this appl can do 500 reads per second with this method).

The key to the speed, i think, is the static cursor was set up, so there was no need for oracle to do any work except the lookup.

Now i must convert to OCI 8.x - man did they change things around. From what i have read - i do not see the concept of a static cursor.

Is it possible to do one prepare, bind and describe. Then when a requests comes in, copy the input to the bind variable and then do an execute and get the one record?

It seems to me the new execute does the equivalent of a oparse and oexfet. Therefore oracle will have to reparse the sql stmt each time it is submitted (i know that oracle can checked its cache to see if the same sql stmt is already parssed - but that is also an extra step that is not needed)

thanks ahead for any insites
GA Received on Sun Jun 06 1999 - 12:06:09 CDT