Re: Unique Constraint vs Unique Index

From: John Higgins <JH33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 14:52:52 -0500

I'm not sure where you were looking, but both the 7.3.3 and the 8.0.5 documentation cdroms include the create unique index syntax.

Oracle recommends the constraint approach. They say that the uniqueness requirement is properly considered an attribute of the table. In today's versions, Oracle then uses an index to enforce the unique constraint. Fututre technology (I have no idea what) may develope a better way than an index to enforce uniqueness.