Re: How to find Oracle Version?

From: Stephen Harris <sweh_at_mpn.com>
Date: 6 Jun 1999 10:44:50 GMT

Mitch Robinson (ddfudge_at_primenet.com) wrote:
: I am documenting our server (HP-UX 11.0).
: What command do I type into the shell to retrieve the version of oracle
: currently installed on our system?

You may have more than one version on your system! (I have 7.1.6, 7.3.3 and 8.0.5 on one system at one point).

The oratab file (generally /etc/oratab or /var/opt/oracle/oratab) tells you where to find the oracle code. If this is of the form   /u01/app/oracle/product/7.3.4
then you know the base version is 7.3.4. Most recent Oracle installs (especially on HPUX-11) should have path names of this form.

If you have multiple databases on your machine, then you can also find out this information _per_ database SID with the sql command   select * from v$version

One of the rows returned should say something like

   Oracle8 Release 8.0.5.1.0 - Production

(That was from my test Linux machine).

--

rgds
Stephen Received on Sun Jun 06 1999 - 05:44:50 CDT