Re: Upgrade 7.3.2.1 to 8.0.5 or 8.1.5 on DEC UNIX

From: Norris <johnnie_at_cooper.com.hk>
Date: 6 Jun 1999 04:38:27 GMT

Upgrade to 8.0.5 first

Burkhard Schultheis <bschultheis_at_tde-online.de> wrote:
: Hi,

: our customer has Oracle 7.3.2.1 on DEC UNIX. We have found a big error
: in this version on DEC UNIX: Oracle writes trace files and loads this
: trace files into shared memory. After some time of working no new
: process can connect to the database. Then you cannot shutdown and
: startup Oracle! Now we know the environment variable to stop Oracle from
: writing these trace files, but we want to go ahead from this buggy
: version.
: Our dealer told us that Oracle 7 is not supported longer then this year.
: So we must upgrade to Oracle 8. We have embedded SQL in C programs and
: use ODBC. Is it a big task to go from Oracle 7 to Oracle 8? Any
: experiences? And which version to choose? 8.0.5 or 8.1.5?
: Thank you in advance!
: --
: Burkhard Schultheis
: Tele Data Electronic