CREATE DATABASE (..) LOGFILE question

From: Surf the World <windsrfr_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: 4 Jun 1999 20:13:53 GMT

Hello All-

Forgive my ignorance as I'm a newcomer to the realm of installing and administering Oracle, but I'm lost and had no where else to turn to.

I'm running Linux and have created my init<SID>.ora file and have successfully startup'ed it with the svrmgrl. However, when I try to create my test database using the following command:

CREATE DATABASE test DATAFILE '/u7/test.db' SIZE 600M LOGFILE
('/u7/test.log') SIZE 60M

I get:
ORA-01518: CREATE DATABASE must specify more than one log file

I have tried several variations on the above logfile entry, including things like ('/u7/test.log' SIZE 60M, '/u7/test2.log' SIZE 60M) and have also tried using the MAXLOGFILES variable. I couldn't get it to work.

I have several fairly heavy Oracle books that're good for Oracle research
(as well as smashing bugs) but none of them give a good concrete example
of the CREATE DATABASE command. Similarly, the Oracle 8 documentation for the ORA-01518 error message isn't too informative.

One of the bug-squashing books I have mentioned that "File specifications for log files depend on the operating system." I take that to mean that under *nix systems you have a '/blah/nowhere' logfile format and WinX boxes have a "C:\blah\nowhere' format.

If someone could gimme a pointer on this, I would be grateful.

En Taro Adun
Chris Blunck Received on Fri Jun 04 1999 - 15:13:53 CDT