Re: Advice on hardware for running oracle 8 on nt

From: Daniel A. Morgan <daniel.morgan_at_attws.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 17:43:49 -0700

> we're setting up a 200 user mts based system using oracle 8.
>
> We're probably just going to buy a commercial 'high performance' server such
> as a compaq proliant, as this is what some of our clients use.
>
> Does anyone have any advice or tips when choosing hardware for this system?

My first advice would be to consider a UNIX box or running Solaris on the Intel platform if you go that way. My experience with Oracle on NT is not impressive. Oracle is stable as a rock. NT is another story entirely.

One thing you don't mention is your requirements for security and stability. How much downtime can your users accept? The answer to this will greatly affect your hardware requirement.

No matter what you do go with mirrored drives: Do not use RAID 5.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed Jun 02 1999 - 19:43:49 CDT