Re: HELP - ORA-12641: Authentication service failed to initialize

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 02 Jun 1999 16:12:44 -0400

K.Grant_at_mailhost.gu.edu.au (Kevin Grant) writes:

> Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
>
> On a machine running Solaris 2.5.1 I have the following setup.
>
> DB1 Oracle 7.3.3 instance.
> DB2 Oracle 8.0.5 instance.
> DB3 Oracle 8.0.5 instance.
> DB4 Oracle 8.0.4 instance.
>
> Net8 listener serving DB1, DB2, DB3, and DB4. (Note: even if I run a
> SQLNet 2.3.3 listener I still have the same problem).
That would make sense because this error occurs between the client and server. The listener has spawned the server and is out of the picture when this error happends.

> If I run 'sqlplus' and connect to DB1 and then within sqlplus 'connect
> system_at_DB2 or DB3 or DB4' there are no problems.
>
> If I run 'sqlplus' and connect to DB2 and then within sqlplus 'connect
> system_at_DB1 or DB4' there are no problems, but
>
> If I run 'sqlplus' and connect to DB2 and then within sqlplus 'connect
> system_at_DB3' I get the following error message - ORA-12641:
> Authentication service failed to initialize.
It sounds like the Advanced Security Option is being used for authentication for connections between DB2 and DB3. It may be because of a misconfiguration.

> It seems there is a problem connecting from 8.0.5 to 8.0.5.
The problem is that ASO is attempting to use an authentication mechanism (such as Kerberos) but you don't have the mechanism installed.

Check your sqlnet.ora file for both of the DB2 and DB3 databases. Make sure that the following line is present:

sqlnet.authentication_services=(NONE)

If the parameter is set to any other value, change it to "(NONE)".

<snip>

Hope this helps.
--

                                        Rick