Recruiting NetHelpers for Scsi & Raid n project

From: JEAN BENOIT MORLA <jbmorla_at_calva.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 20:43:27 GMT

Hello everybody

I have just acquired an Asus Motherboard for a pentium III 450 and 128M Ram
At the moment it's only used to test Rogue Squadron but it has a better future....
Setup says it can boot SCSI or IDE
I have a SCSI hard disk, a SCSI shutlle CD ROM reader which has already booted free Sco 5.
Also I have Linux and Oracle 8.x CDs sent by Santa Klaus in my mailbox.
Now guess what?
I would like to install 5 SCSI hard drives to play with various RAID configuration and create the ultimate SCOTT/TIGER benchmark. So there are a number or not so frequently asked questions that pop up.
- Is there a RAID manager for Linux (or is RAID some kind of
proprietary hardware manufacturer teknology)?
- Are there really cheap SCSI 1G hard drives around? (because 5 times
500$ mean a lot just for a benchmarck)?
- Obviously there will be a need to emulate DSS/Batch/Oltp on the SSG
database. Perl-fluent help needed
- Are there motherboards (Asus or else) that will host 2 or 4 pentium
III, just to activate some degree of parallelism At the end of the day, I want to be extra useful as a DBA for my customers, and so will you, so we'd better get going!
- Are there Glance-like monitoring tools for Linux, nothing beating
4*100% CPU on the Processor display... Received on Mon May 31 1999 - 15:43:27 CDT