Upgrade 7.3.2.1 to 8.0.5 or 8.1.5 on DEC UNIX

From: Burkhard Schultheis <bschultheis_at_tde-online.de>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 16:20:32 +0200

Hi,

our customer has Oracle 7.3.2.1 on DEC UNIX. We have found a big error in this version on DEC UNIX: Oracle writes trace files and loads this trace files into shared memory. After some time of working no new process can connect to the database. Then you cannot shutdown and startup Oracle! Now we know the environment variable to stop Oracle from writing these trace files, but we want to go ahead from this buggy version.
Our dealer told us that Oracle 7 is not supported longer then this year. So we must upgrade to Oracle 8. We have embedded SQL in C programs and use ODBC. Is it a big task to go from Oracle 7 to Oracle 8? Any experiences? And which version to choose? 8.0.5 or 8.1.5? Thank you in advance!
--
Burkhard Schultheis
Tele Data Electronic