Re: Getting Started w/ Oracle - I REALLY NEED HELP

From: Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 08:23:50 +0800

Hi Brady,

Oracle WebDB allows for simple web design, CHARTS, FORMS, REPORTS, Browsing of the Schema, etc... It has built in Statistics as well, who hit what page, from where, with what IP and Browser, and how long each page took to query...

You need Java Script for running WebDB in Administrator mode, but after that you just need a current bowser (Netscape 4.x or IE 4.x/5.x).

If you are wanting to develop Java based applications, then you can get hold of JDeveloper 2.0 (which has just been released in Hong Kong), and if you are wanting a full development area, then you can use Oracle's Developer/2000 product set for developing Forms and Reports which would normally appear on a Client Server environment.

It really depends upon what you are wanting to do with your website.

As far as the license is concerned, then a 5 user license means that you have purchased the Oracle DBMS and you are allowed to have 5 users connected to the database at any one time. However, this is something that YOU set via a configuration parameter. If you exceed the parameter then you are breaking the licensing agreement, and if Oracle discovers this then you may be subjected to a fine or whatever it is called in legal speak.

Hope this helps,
Andrew

BTW - You can set the parameter to 1000 users if you want, or not bother to set it at all.