Re: SQL-NET Port through firewall

From: <coopman_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 10:00:08 -0400

Keith,

I have only seen success with this using a Net8 listener. It is possible to graft the Net8 product over an Oracle 7 install (do this at your own risk!). My experience is with the WindowsNT platform, but the principles must apply to others as well

In the client's configuration file, TNSNAMES.ORA you need to add

    (SERVER=DIRECT) to the CONNECTION_DATA item of the service defintion

for instance:

    (CONNECTION_DATA = (SID=ORCL) (SERVER=DIRECT)) ....

At the listener host, you need to define an environment variable, which can be done under the ORACLE key in the registry (for NT)

USE_SHARED_SOCKET=TRUE you should look at the Net8 Getting Started Document for your platform (for NT, and explanation is in Appendix B) for Optional Configuration Parameters

An additional complication occurs if your internal network is using an internal scheme for security or other reasons (i.e addresses like 10.x.x.x). In this case, you'll have to allow the firewall to translate (NAT) an external representation of your internal server's address into a form for transmission on your internal network, and configure the client's TNSNAMES.ORA with the externalized host address.

_whew_

Experiments at my site show that without the modifications BOTH at the client and at the listener host, it wont work, even though other sources of info seem to indicate that either of those mods might work by itself.

Also, it's best if your listener is on the same host as the target database instance. If not, I think you'll have to start playing with the MTS option and database dispatchers to force a constant port # at the database instance host. I don't think you want to go there...

You might also try searching deja news www.deja.com for postings on this subject, as I have seen several here previously.

It WAS a pain in the butt to get this working!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Marc