Re: Need help starting Oracle 8 at bootup time

From: <hr784_at_cleveland.freenet.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 11:35:48 GMT

First, You don't want root starting your databases. Second, you probably already have a startup script in oracle_home/bin called dbstart.

Add an entry in the rc2.d directory called something like S99startdb. (Make sure it has a capitol S). In side this entry will be one line and it should look like "su - oracle -C
/uxx/app/oracle/product/8.0.5/bin/startdb". The same works in reverse.  Add an entry that starts with a capitol "K" that does an su - oracle -C ..... (path to shutdown script)

Hope this helps.

David Knollhoff

In article <slrn7l007v.ab.asmolar_at_mallard.ultranet.com>,   asmolar_at_ma.ultranet.com wrote:
> On 29 May 1999 05:27:13 GMT, Salsawak wrote:
> >Hi!
>
> First, try running them by hand as root, and see if you have any
problems.

> If you do su - oracle, are your ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID variables
being
> set? Oracle won't start without them.
>
> >We just installed Oracle 8i on a SUN 450 running Solaris 7. Our DBA
wants
> >Oracle 8 to be startup at boot time and shutdown when the system goes
down. I
> >created a script in init.d that look like as follows.
> >
> >Begining of script
> >
> >#!/bin/sh
> >
> >case $1 in
> > start)
> > echo "Starting Oracle Database. . ."
> > su - oracle "/opt/app/oracle/local/dbstart.sh"
> > su - oracle "/opt/app/oracle/local/listener_start.sh"
> > ;;
> > stop)
> > echo "Shutting Oracle Database . . ."
> > su - oracle "/opt/app/oracle/local/dbshut.sh"
> > su - oracle "/opt/app/oracle/local/listener_stop.sh"
> > ;;
> > *)
> > echo "Error during Oracle startup"
> >esac
> >
> >End of script
> >
> > I tried to execute the script from rc2.d with no success and if I
try from
> >rc3.d then the CDE won't work at the console. I also want to
shutdown from
> >rc0.d.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or if there is a better way
> >accomplish this task??????
> >

> >Thanks
> >

> >Ramon
> >

> --
>
> Tony Smolar
>

> asmolar_at_ma.ultranet.com home email
> http://www.ultranet.com/~asmolar homepage

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Sun May 30 1999 - 06:35:48 CDT