"rename" and "create table x as select *" questions

From: Ying-fen Hu <yhu_at_generalmicro.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 12:52:52 -0400

Dear Oracle Gurus,

I have two questions:

  1. Will "rename" take a long time if the table is large? What are involved in the rename process?
  2. Will "create table x as select * from table y where 1=2;" take a long time if table y is very large (8 million rows)? I think it will. Although, this statement will create the structure only and no data are transferred to table y, the "where" clause will go through the usual SQL process. Therefore, if the table is large (millions of rows), the statement will take longer than if the table is smaller (hundreds of rows). Is it correct? I'd like to know what's happening behind the statement.

Thank you in advance for your reply. For reply, please also e-mail to huy_at_ncr.disa.mil.

Ying-fen Hu Received on Sat May 29 1999 - 11:52:52 CDT