Re: Oracle 8i installation

From: Chris Cooper-Bland <gfv01_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 14:42:12 +0100

Humm...

Oracle actually provides recommend INT.ORA parameters for machine and memory sizes, including NT 128, which I have always found sufficient as a starting point. Like any database configuration you should consider your application and user needs. Yes the more memory you can give Oracle the better your sorts, the better your parse, the better your hit ratio but by how much???

Mark.

Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com> wrote in message news:7ie8jn$725$1_at_autumn.news.rcn.net...
> Hi,
>
> I do not think that 128MB is sufficient to get reasonable performance
> out of Oracle. Remember that Oracle has been optimized to handle large
data
> bases and, in order to do so effectively, requires large amounts of
memory.
> I believe that on a small machine (a 128MB NT) SQL Server will be much
> faster than Oracle. Now, if you increase RAM to 1GB or more and start
> dealing with multi-million row tables I believe that Oracle will be much
> faster than SQL Server.
>
> regards
>
> Jerry Gitomer
>
> G Chen wrote in message <7icfsb$4r2_at_news01.dmz.anadarko.com>...
> >I just download Oracle8i and oem from Oracle web site. The Oracle8i zip
> file
> >alone has almost
> >400 mb. Does anybody ever install this one on an PC(128 mb memory) with
NT
> >server 4.0? What is minimum required configeration(memory, space etc.)?
Is
> >it some kind of 3 month evaluation version? I also have MS SQL Server 7.0
> >installed on this PC. Will Oracle8i installation cause any problem with
MS