Oracle refuses to shutdown

From: Sam Jordan <sjo_at_spin.ch>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 05:34:54 +0000

Hi

I mentioned a similar problem some times ago. I'm using a script to make cold backups, which involves shutdown and startup of the database. The problem
is, that Oracle refuses to perform the shutdown, if any transactions are still
open, regardless of using normal, immediate or transactional parameter. It doesn't
matter whether an SQLPLUS session is still open or whether a Java application has
still JDBC connections open to the database. The result is a hang-up of the
backup script, and the final result is, that the backup isn't done. As soon as
I log out of SQLPLUS resp. shut down my applications which have connections open,
the shutdown is performed soon.

This problem is a severe one for me, since my applications hold DB connections open
and count on exceptions beeing thrown, if the database is shut down and the
connections become invalid.

I'm using Oracle 8.0.5. for Linux. I heard that the shutdown command seems to
have problems, but now I need a solution. At the moment all which comes me to
mind is to switch to hot-backups, but I really don't like to do it. Additionally
I would like to shutdown the db whenever I like to, not beeing dependant on
any applications running on the db and not releasing database connections.
And I don't think that Oracle behaves correctly in this case, at least I interpret
this behaviour as non-consistent to the documentation.

bye
--
Sam Jordan Received on Fri May 28 1999 - 00:34:54 CDT