Questions/advice regarding separation of files onto disks

From: Thomas M. Payerle <payerle_at_Glue.umd.edu>
Date: 27 May 1999 21:42:31 -0400

I am setting up an Oracle server for a new manufacturing/POS application in my department. Although haven't had much experience with the new package that will sit on top of Oracle, I suspect our database will be small-to-tiny by Oracle standards; certainly less than 1GB, relatively low volume, etc
(indeed, most of the functionalilty was being met by Rbase in Netware
environment not that long ago). So likely a moot point for our size, but would like to have some idea about placement of files.

  1. How is Oracle when putting datafiles, etc on souped up UFS, journaled file systems, etc (in particular AdvFS for Digital Unix)? Any problems or disadvantages to doing such?
  2. A number of references suggest mirroring the online redo log files. How necessary is this? If I am not mirroring the redo log files, and they get damaged, how catastrophic is it? Presumably I only lose everything that was in the damaged redo logs and later (and presumably later should not be a very long time as database should be crashing.) And I would hope that it would crash shortly after the damage, so that if my redo logs are filling up every four hours or so, worst case is I lose the last 4hrs of data entry. Or will it wait until the damaged redo log becomes active again, which with 3-4 redo logs would lose about 2 workdays, which is becoming unnacceptable.
  3. Is mirroring of on line redo logs and archived redo logs independent of each other? Ie, can I mirror one and not the other. It would seem silly to mirror online redo logs but not archived logs, or am I missing something.
  4. Several refeneces suggest that redo logs and archived redo logs not be put on the same disk to avoid disk contention. I suspect that won;t be a major issue for me (realtively small, low volume database), but was curious. Since archive redo logs are just copies of online redo logs after they're full, shouldn't it just be a matter of of ORacle logwriter(? forget name) process just renaming the the full online redo log to the archive log name and opening a new redo log (ie no need to actually copy file, just adjust some directory entries), or does it actully copy the individual data blocks. Just seems a pain, since online redo logs are likely to be rather small
    (compared to data files, etc) but also relatively high activity --- seems to
    me they would go nicely on the same phsyical disk (unlike everything else in oracle which seems to like a physical disk for each file).

Thanks in advance for all your feedback. I have tried to read up but experience is not readily replaced by books.

Tom Payerle

Dept of Physics				payerle_at_physics.umd.edu
University of Maryland			(301) 405-6973
College Park, MD 20742-4111		Fax: (301) 314-9525